Friday, February 18, 2011

Homeless Tweets

So in addition to giving broke ass people cellphones on the taxpayer dime, you can now receive tweets from four homeless dudes in order to "raise awareness" of the homeless problem. New Yorkers really don't need anyone bringing the homeless problem to our attention. We were AWARE of the tent cities and crackhead windshield washer men in the 80's and early 90's. We were AWARE of the kickback based UHO's "give today, every penny helps" scam, and the "deaf" Mexicans with their index cards saying how deaf and poor they were and how they needed a $1 for their deaf children in the late 90's and early 00's. We were AWARE of the kids selling candy "Not for my basketball team but to put a dollar in my pockets and stay out of trouble" of the mid 00's. The 3 million of us who have taken the subway every single day for the past 15+ years to our JOBS are blatently AWARE of homeless people. Anyone who walks down the street, or takes public transportation, or eats lunch in a public atrium is very AWARE of the noxious odors emanating from the ever present homeless.

This initiative reminds me of the timeless and wise belief; "Don't give a man a fish, teach him how to twitter". These tweets will surely equip these homeless adults with the tools to nail down a job, find a place to live and become functioning members of society. According to the crack reporter who broke this story, the tweets "contain some moving insights about loneliness, hardship and the basic human kindness shown by - and shown to - these four men". Forget that, I want some "insightful" tweets about what exactly they did today to get off the taxpayer dime. Like: "I collected 200 cans worth $10, now I can buy myself lunch" or "I just took a free resume writing seminar and applied to three minimum wage jobs" or even "I pretended to be the doorman at Wendy's and made $16 today". If  they won't bother to do that, I want to see honest tweets from the homeless like, "I just showered in a Barnes and Noble bathroom" or "A 95 lb upper east side female lawyer just kicked me into the gutter" or "I am happily ending the day the same way I started it, drinking a fresh $6 fifth of vodka out of a paper bag".

No comments:

Post a Comment