Monday, January 31, 2011

Hipster Boxing

I get a text about 8:30 on Friday night from my boy telling me were going to a Friday Night Fight Throwdown event at 88 East Broadway. I don't follow boxing or MMA, so I figured it was some big fight that I had skipped over reading in the sports section this past week. I agreed and Googled the address for directions. I was confused, as the address given turned up a Fung-Wa bus depot, Chinese restaurant, a Chinese employment agency, and a variety of other small businesses with Chinese names. I realized the address was the Chinatown mall, which was built in the early nineties to replace a bunch of shacks under the Manhattan Bridge. I assumed the address he sent me was a typo and said I was down. Plus, it was BYOB, so I could bring a couple six packs and a flask and avoid the regular Friday night of $14 drinks.

As we leave my apartment my buddies tell me we are going to a party that rotates locations every few months and hosts actual boxing matches. The address was right; we were on our way to an underground boxing match/party at the Chinatown Mall. I had walked past this place hundreds of times over the past 20 years, never venturing inside past the phone card stalls and chain smoking, snot-rocketing, fresh off the boat Chinese immigrants and the Snakehead Chinese gangsters who had smuggled them into the country in return for a decade of indentured servitude. I knew what was up as soon as we got close and I see Sherlock Holmes waiting to enter the mall, fresh off the plane from Idahoklahoma .

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"

I turn to my boy and laugh saying "you are fucking kidding me right?" Luckily I was about 8 drinks in at that point and ready to see what trouble awaited us inside. Of course, the first thing I saw as I walked in the door was a sign informing patrons that by entering the premises, you were aware that a "documentary" was being filmed. Of course it was. Just like the 8th grade graduation video shot by my parents was a "documentary". The "bouncer", who was about 5'7" and 140 lbs of flannel asked us if we were cops. Brooding about how authentically underground they were, I guess they didnt notice the actual plainclothes detectives standing about 10 feet away, who I'm sure were there only to ensure none of vacationing hipsters got hurt or misbehaved in this actual immigrant and very low income neighborhood, not to bust this "secret" event.  

After getting in, I humor myself by striking up a conversation with Tyler, "from" Brooklyn. Asking him what the deal is with this event, he said its his first one, and as an engineer he was stoked to see the equipment the producers and band were working with. Drunk and confused, I had no idea what being an engineer had to do with this. I asked him what sort of engineer he was, mechanical, architectural, computer, or something else. He looks at me with great shock, as if I have just told him his father respects him, and nasally snorts "I'm like, a sound engineeer". I laugh in his face and walk away, taking this shot as I mock him from three feet away:

Brooklyn Sound Engineer Tyler proves that Hipsters dont have to be svelte
The fights start up and I'm hanging out about 30 feet away with a decent view. There are four bouts scheduled, plus a few shitty bands (of course). All the fighters are obvious amateurs, and while they have enough technique to beat me in the ring, I wouldn't be afraid of any of them or their entourage in a street fight. To increase authenticity, three of the eight boxers seem to be hispanic, while one is black. All are matched up with white boy hipsters with tattoos and non threatening patterns of facial hair. The little black dude is overmatched and quickly loses to some doofus who acts like he just won the Superbowl. Two of the three hispanics win, matched up with equally douchey flyoverstate transplants that I would bet my ass call Brooklyn home.

Proof I was actually there and didnt just Google Image "douchey Hipster" for the first two pics.
I honestly had a fucking great time. Where else could you be in a smoky room with 500 people that you are obviously superior to in every facet of life (except the abilities to tap dat trust fund and make papier mache), while openly mocking them and getting drunk with a few good friends? I can't wait for the next match! I also apologize for the quality of all my pictures, as I dont have an authentically deck iphone so I was forced to use my shitty Blackberry.

13 comments:

  1. WAIT. Hold it. Hipsters BOXING? I just peed!
    Also, Tyler is a bit behind the times, it seems...overweight AND still rocking that scarf thingy. FAIL. Epic FAIL.

    I expect to be told about the next "secret" fight. Unless it's a penis-only affair, then whatevs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought your name was "Sam," "Laura."
    Must have been quite the ass-reaming you got from a hipster, you're like Mel Gibson with the joos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow. this blog is like crotchrot for the brain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good article...
    couldn't make this one at 88....but hit me with the next location.

    http://5ivefingazmusic.com/podcast.html

    fivefingaz_music@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tyler "from" Brooklyn. ahahahahhaaa.

    Nothing makes hipsters more uncomfortable than being asked where they're really from. Best way to make their ever increasing presence bearable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good post Laura! How did your boy find out about the event, would love to go to the next one.

    markmstevens@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey,

    i saw that you went to that fashion boxing event. do you know if this is still running and if there's some way i can get in.

    let me know. how i can get in contact you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking to go to the next event, just heard about this thing. Would appreciate any info, thanks!

    jonm5896@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your blog provided us with valuable information to work with. Each & every tips of your post are awesome. Thanks a lot for sharing. Keep blogging.. tiger

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is very educational content and written well for a change. It's nice to see that some people still understand how to write a quality post.! joker game

    ReplyDelete
  11. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! keep up the good work... 스포츠티비

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very informative post! There is a lot of information here that can help any business get started with a successful social networking campaign. 마징가티비

    ReplyDelete